Monday 30 April 2012

29th April

Sunday morning was pleasant and we were all well rested by then. We were looking forward to the orientation program where we could meet a lot of prominent Rotarians and formally discuss our plan of action for the upcoming days. The itinerary planned for us is overwhelming and it was clear how hard the 6450 Chicago team had worked on it. They gave us each minute detail about where we would be at what time, whom we would meet and also the kind of attire we are expected to come in.

We were introduced to a lot of interesting Rotarians and also the outbound Team who had visited India in Jan this year. Later after warm and encouraging speach by DG David Templin, followed by a sumptuous brunch we all had to check out of the hotel. We were then introduced to our host families, and like little kids we were taken away by our families to their homes.

Robert (Bob) and Merilyn Giles are going to be my family for this entire week. They took me to their beautiful house in Oak Park. And boy, was I ready to get pampered by them? My room was all prim and proper with everything arranged, taking care of the minutest things that I would need.

They drove me to the Willis Tower (Sears tower) and took me right up to the sky deck. Bob made sure he pointed out every structure and building of significance and also told me a brief history about the city of Chicago. We then had dinner at the Navy Pier and drove me around showing Chicago downtown, the Chicago river and the Lake Michigan.

They day ended with a little chit chat in their TV room where we talked about India, Chicago, families and some of the goodies I had brought for them from India.

No comments:

Post a Comment